• Call us on01223 249331

We are open and COVID-19 SECURE. Click here to find out more

Pet Passports

See the process below

Since January 2012 the regulations for the Pet Travel Scheme has changed to make travel with pets easier. Please visit DEFRA's website for more details. It is ultimately your responsibility for ensuring your pet meets all the requirements for travelling.

For pets entering the UK from the EU or listed non-EU countries, the following protocol is required:

Before any of the other procedures for pet travel are carried out, your pet must be fitted with a microchip so it can be properly identified.

  • Step 2 – Have your pet vaccinated against Rabies

Your pet must be vaccinated against Rabies and boosters must be kept up to date. The length of the waiting period before entry to the UK is 21 days after the first vaccination date. A waiting period is not required for subsequent entries into the UK, provided rabies boosters are kept up to date. If the vaccination is in two parts, the 21 day wait will be from the date of the second vaccination.

We will then provide you with a passport for your pet which will hold details about their vaccinations and microchip number.

Before entering the UK, all pet dogs must be treated for tapeworm. This must be administered by a vet not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before the dog's scheduled arrival time in the UK. There is no mandatory requirement for tick treatment although we would recommend this for pets travelling overseas. (No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland or Malta).

Your pet must enter the UK from a listed country or territory travelling with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

Click here for a useful link to flying with your pet.

We also strongly recommend your discuss your pets travel requirements with a vet before travelling. Alongside the compulsory treatments required as part of the Pet Passport, many pets will also benefit from protection against tick, sand fly and mosquito-bourne diseases. We can also talk to you about ways to help your pet travel and how to plan your route.